SPC1017 Aaron Begazo 2nd Blogger Post Theme Presentation

 Aaron Begazo SPC1017

Prior to beginning this project, I was unaware of what a changemaker was exactly. I assumed it would most likely be U.S. presidents, governors, or other political leaders who had a major impact on the world. However, I quickly learned that there were many changemakers throughout history who were not politicians at all. In my case, I was selected to work on the 1800s portion of the project and tasked with learning about Frederick Douglass.

I expected the project to be somewhat difficult because I assumed that records from his time period would be harder to find. However, I was completely mistaken, as I soon learned that Frederick Douglass was actually the most photographed American of the 19th century. As I began researching his life, I took my time trying to develop an accurate understanding of who he was and why he was so important to American history.

What stood out to me the most was his dedication to fighting slavery and promoting the idea that all people should be treated equally. Through his speeches, writings, and activism, Douglass became one of the most influential voices of his time. He was an incredibly influential figure who helped others understand the harsh realities of slavery and the lack of rights many African Americans faced during that period. The more I learned about him, the more I understood why he is still remembered and studied today.


During my research on Frederick Douglass, I found out that he managed to learn how to read and write during a time when many African Americans were denied an education. Douglass was enslaved by many people during his life and was most notably under Hugh and Sophia Auld. During his time there, Sophia secretly taught him the alphabet before Hugh forced her to stop. I honestly was left stunned after reading about this because the world came surprisingly close to never hearing the voice of one of the most influential people of the 19th century.

Unfortunately for him, he had to endure many more years as a slave and was even sent to a slave breaker, where he suffered heavy physical abuse and nearly lost the strength to continue pushing for his goal of becoming free. After one last transition, he was placed under a kinder master and taught many other slaves how to read in secret before attempting another escape, which ended in failure. Truly, without his determination to continue, we most likely would not have heard as much about the injustices African Americans endured, as he brought many of them to light through his speeches and writings.

Luck would have it, though that he would meet someone named Anna Murray, who helped him escape by sewing sailor clothes for him and providing financial aid. Thanks to Frederick's prior experience and borrowed credentials, he was able to disguise himself as a free black sailor and managed to escape into New York before meeting up with Anna Murray and later marrying her. The stars must have aligned for him to have met such a helpful woman, as her aid was crucial to his escape and later helped contribute to purchasing his freedom.


One of the things that surprised me most was just how much influence Douglass eventually had on the United States government. Before this project, I had no idea that he had actually met with Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War. His sons even joined the Union Army in the fight, yet there were still major issues with inequality at the time. African Americans often received less pay despite doing the same work as others.

Later in the war, Douglass and Lincoln met, and despite some of their disagreements, they found many ideas they could both agree on. Lincoln eventually came to enjoy Douglass's company and valued his opinions, even asking for his thoughts on speeches and important issues. Honestly, this simply showed how influential Douglass had become and how important his role was in American history.

Many of the ideas Douglass pushed for later became part of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments, which dramatically changed how African Americans were treated. Douglass fought for these changes for years, and seeing them finally come to fruition made equality seem less like a dream and more like a reality.

It was incredible to learn about Frederick Douglass and so many other changemakers throughout our presentations. Before I presented my slides, another group member presented Abraham Lincoln and even showed a video of one of his speeches. It was truly something to behold and helped me better understand the time period that Douglass lived in. Other members of my group also researched changemakers who made major contributions toward abolishing slavery and promoting equality, including equal rights for women. Seeing how many people dedicated their lives to improving the lives of others made me appreciate just how much effort and sacrifice went into creating the freedoms many of us enjoy today.

Another group focused on changemakers who made an impact through music, such as Michael Jackson and many other artists. Many of them came together to create songs that raised money for charities and helped bring attention to important issues around the world. I was genuinely surprised by the dedication these artists showed, using their music not only to inspire people but also to support those in need. It was inspiring to learn how they used their influence to raise awareness and help improve the lives of others during difficult times.

In the end, it was a great pleasure working on this project and dedicating time to learning about some of the most important people in history. These changemakers helped influence not only America into what it is today, but also societies, and communities around the world. I enjoyed every presentation given by the other groups because they reminded me that, at the end of the day, most people simply want what is best for one another. Each changemaker showed that one person can make a difference in the lives of so many others.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jason Martinez #1 Blog

Angelique Santamaria Class Presentation Blogs #1

Blogger #1 Claribel Garcia